Thursday, September 15, 2011

MW3 and Duke Nukem As First Person Shooters

When I was just a kid, playing around on my mom's computer, I remember the absolutely terrible "video games" she brought back home from school for me to play and "educate myself" on. Back then, that was what a PC was for; learning and research, not video games. But one day my friend snuck over a new game I had heard whispered about in the elementary school halls. All I could really gather from it was something about aliens, bubble gum, and kicking ass. So we started up Windows 95 and he let me play Duke Nukem 3D, and it was the first time I had laughed, felt scared and been excited all at the same time while playing a game. By this time, the N64 was out and very popular and Goldeneye 007 was still the king of FPS predecessors, but Duke Nukem blew everything I knew completely out of the water.

15 years later, the rumored sequel to Duke Nukem 3D, Duke Nukem Forever, was set to be released and though excited as I was, there was just no way that any game in history could survive over 15 years of hype, hysteria and rumors. I can now say, as a twenty-something college graduate, that I have played all the way through Duke Nukem Forever (something I would love to go back and boast to my 8-year old self) and sincerely enjoyed it.

Does that mean that I, with any good conscience, would advise anyone out there to buy this game? Definitely not. If you were a Duke fan back in the day, maybe you might enjoy the one-liners and throwbacks to the old games, so maybe the nostalgia will be worth the $50 price tag. On the heavier other hand, the graphics and design are crude, mismatched and incredibly dull; the gameplay is a mind-numbingly boring point and shoot exercise; and, for what it's worth, the game didn't take long to beat and certainly shouldn't be very hard for anyone.

From playing Duke Nukem when I was young to playing Call of Duty today, my intensity for gaming has still been the same all along, perhaps even more intense than it has ever been before.

First Person shooters have always been my genre of games above all others. First person shooters like Duke Nukeem, MW3/, and Battlefield 3 are at the top of the list in the world and in my world.

By Joey Ahmad (Astanos)

Astanos also known as Joey Ahmad is co-founder of mw3cod.com/, the # 1 fan site for Call of Duty MW3 delivering News, Guides, Gameplay, and more!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment